Friday, January 12, 2007

Top 5 Reasons to Live in Austin


I received an email this morning from a friend of mine. The subject line read, "Pictures of Dead Birds in Downtown Austin". I seriously thought that someone had sent me a picture of 3 dead pigeons (see fabulous friend Liz's post from a couple of days ago) lying on the ground, but instead, I received the above picture. It shows the truly bizarre sense of humor that almost ever Austinite possesses. It was for this reason that I was motivate to write my Top 5 list for Austin:
5. THE WEATHER
This is for my fabulous friend Liz who could tell you a cold-weather Chicago story every day of the week for 10 years and never run out.
4. ANIMAL FRIENDLY
Austin is extremely animal friendly as evidenced by the fact that the Worst Dog of the Year 2006 and quite possible Worst Cat of the Year 2006 live happily in the city and are not exiled to some place like Memphis, Texas (see fabulous friend Liz's Husband, Jonathan's post on megadoodle.org).
3. THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
It's awesome.
2. THE FOOD
Austin is no Chicago, NY or San Francisco when it comes to fine or not-so-fine cuisine, but it does many things right like: Chuy's, Rudy's, Jeffrey's and many other restaurant with boy names.
1. THE PEOPLE
Like my fabulous friend Liz. And of course all the other people in Austin, especially the ones with a crazy sense of humor who could actually stage, photograph and distribute pictures like the one above.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Thanks for the plug, Steph!

Liz said...

Also another good reason to live in Austin: it is an insect-lovers paradise. I am surprised the Chamber of Commerce and Austin Tourism people don't mention this more often.

Between the hot and humid weather and heavy influence from the environmentalists, Austin has tons of insects. We have stinging insects, biting insects, small insects, big insects. We also have scary insects, cute insects, and yucky insects. Literally all kinds.

So that is a big plus IF you love bugs. Which I don't so for me its kind of a negative aspect of living here.