Sunday, January 7, 2007

Hope's Favorite Movies of All Time

Like my fabulous friend Liz, I love movies but only the types of movies that fit within...well, the type of movies I like. The best way to describe those types of movies are "light" movies--this does not mean that I don't like a good drama or a twisted independent film, when I say "light" I mean "well-lit." I also tend to gravitate toward movies that are set in a pretty place where the characters are wearing pretty clothing. I do not, under any circumstances want to see a movie in which body parts are severed, a person is electrocuted or an eyeball is pulled from a skull. I can handle movies that are not necessarily happy at the beginning and in the middle but I prefer them to be happy in the end.

Unlike my fabulous friend Liz, I do not like to go to theaters to see movies and I don't have cable TV. Fortunately, I live a half block from a Blockbuster so I can get my movie fix that way. I find actually going to a theater to see a movie to be too big of a commitment for me. I don't like the idea of being forced to sit in a theater with hundreds of other people (who occasionally smell) for hours, not knowing when the movie will end (i.e., when I can go to the restroom). I prefer to view movies in the comfort of my own home, where I control the volume, the odors in the air and the pause button on the remote control.

Below is a list of my favorite movies of all time that I can think of today, not in any particular order. Now that I think about it, out of all of the movies listed below, I have only seen one in a theater.

1. Working Girl
2. Surviving Picasso
3. Immortal Beloved
4. When Harry Met Sally
5. Best in Show
6. Secretary
7. Any Jane Austen book made into a movie
8. Age of Innocence
9. 50 First Dates
10. Red Violin
11. St. Elmo's Fire
12. Thomas Crown Affair (Pierce Brosnan version)
13. Oceans 11 (George Clooney version)
14. Titanic (the first half--Winslet/Di Caprio version)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Good list! I almost put St. Elmo's Fire on my list too but since I had put Breakfast Club on the list I figured that it was a forgone conclusion that I liked the rest of the "brat pack - teen angst movies"