Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Public Service Message to Jacuzzi Tub Owners

If you are a Jacuzzi tub owner or an owner of a similar type of tub, I warn you, do not dismiss this post out of hand! Since I moved into my new condo, my otherwise lovely Jacuzzi bath tub has been spewing ugly black moldy chunks. As you can see from my exchange with the Jacuzzi tub people below, I have tried everything imaginable to rid my tub of this nasty scum. I haven't actually tried the solution suggested by the Jacuzzi tub people in the e-mail below but it seems the most promising solution thus far. I think this is a vitally important topic and one that, frankly, just does not get enough media attention. I am hoping that my e-mail to the Jacuzzi tub people and their response to me will spare some of you the trauma that I have endured over the last few months while trying to stop my tub from spewing chunks and prevent others from encountering this problem in the first place.

Hope wrote....

Hello,

I purchased a new condo about six months ago, which contained a Jacuzzi bath tub. Since the first time I turned on the jets, they have been blowing out brown/black moldy flakes. I have tried everything I can think of to clean the jets and pipes.

My home inspector suggested that I put bleach in the tub and run the jets for about 30 minutes and let it soak. I tried this several times using a couple of cups of bleach with a half-full tub and letting it soak overnight but it didn't work. Next, I tried a product called Sani-bath, which is supposedly specially designed for this problem--that didn't work. I then tried a product I purchased at a store that sold Jacuzzi products. (Aside from providing me with the product, the Jacuzzi tub store had no clue how to solve the problem or whether the pipes could be replaced.) I tried the recommended amount of four capfuls of the product for the first five times but when that didn't work I dumped the entire container in--of course, that didn't work either. I have also tried an entire large bottle of Lysol, a box of Cascade dishwashing detergent, CLR, Lime Away and Scrubbing Bubbles sprayed directly into the jets and the intake area. I am sure you can guess that none of these tactics worked either!

Most recently, out of frustration, I dumped nearly two gallons of bleach into a half-full tub, let the jets run for 30 minutes and let it soak for 5 hours. I know this is probably not good for the tub (or for the human that is doing it) but then again, the nasty moldy chunks are not good for me! In short, I felt that I was left with no alternative and had to resort to extreme measures. The bleach bleached the current moldy flakes white but am not sure whether it has prevented future black moldy flakes from growing.

Please let me know how you recommend that this problem be solved. Is there a special cleaner that will work? Is it possible to get the pipes cleaned? (I know it is the pipes because I have removed the jets and cleaned them separately--they appear to be fine.) Should the pipes be removed and new ones installed? Is that possible? Also, when/if I finally get the problem solved, how do I prevent this from happening again in the future?

Aside from this one problem the tub and the jets appear to be working perfectly and I am excited to be able to use it. Please help.

Thanks,
Hope

Jacuzzi tub people wrote (promptly I might add)....

Dear Hope,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. The black flakes are most likely an accumulation of bath residue-a combination of dirt, body oil, soap scum, and residue from any additives that may have been used in the bath. To remove accumulations of bath residue from the whirlpool system, it is recommended that a whirlpool bath be purged at least twice a month. For best results, however, we recommend that you purge your whirlpool bath after each use, using our exclusive two-part plumbing system cleaner made specifically for whirlpool baths. Systems Clean(tm) is available through an authorized Jacuzzi Whirlpool Bath Distributor or by calling us direct at 1-800-288-4002.

-Instructions for use: Immediately after bathing and exiting the whirlpool bath, leave the bath water in the tub and add hot water, if necessary, so the water is at east 2" above the highest jet.
-Turn on the unit without the aerator. Pour the contents of the Systems Clean Packet 1 (taking care not to get the material on you) into the bath near the intake for the circulation pump.
-Repeat same process with Systems Clean Packet 2. It is important to use Packet 1 before Packet 2 to avoid a strong odor. Run the bath for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain completely and rinse any residue.

If you have followed the standard purging instructions above and still have an excess accumulation of bath residue:

-We recommend SUPER SYSTEMS CLEAN PLUS manufactured by Stearns Packaging to rectify this condition. This may be obtained by contacting us at 1-800-288-4002. It is recommended that you follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer with the product. Repeated use may be necessary. SUPER SYSTEMS CLEAN PLUS does not replace the necessity to regularly purge your whirlpool system with Systems Clean as recommended.

We do not recommend using bleach, or products containing bleach, in the bath as it may be harmful to the whirlpool system.

Thank you,
Consumer Assistance
Jacuzzi Whirlpool Bath

FYI--I DO NOT recommend that anyone try the two gallons of bleach thing described above in my e-mail--I hear it can be very dangerous. Also, the two products referenced in the Jacuzzi tub people's e-mail are also available at www.jacuzzi.com in a combo pack for the low price of $46.90 (believe me, if you have this problem you will be willing to pay anything to get rid of it). This site also contains fun accessories for your Jacuzzi tub, some of which I will consider purchasing if I can ever get rid of the black chunks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope,

You are absolutely correct . . . this issue simply does not get enough media coverage.

Chaiman,
DBSIJC