Monday, February 5, 2007

Why the Puppy Bowl is Better than the Superbowl


The folks at Animal Planet are a bunch of alternative programming geniuses! For those of you not familiar with it, The Puppy Bowl is four continuous hours of puppies - playing with chew toys, sniffing each others' butts and drinking water in a small enclosed area decorated like a football field. There's not a whole lot of human commentary during the 4 hour game, but it's oddly addictive. Here are my top 10 reasons why the Puppy Bowl is better than the Superbowl.
10. For the cat lovers, there is a kitty half time show - Kitties invade the football field while the puppies take a much needed nap. There's less butt sniffing, but more butt licking in this show.
9. Time-outs for puppies making doodie on the field (poor referee has to clean it up, but I don't think you'll ever see that in the NFL, although it might be fun if they did.)
8. Animal Planet provides you with a line-up of the players and even ideas of how to plan the perfect Puppy Bowl party: http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/puppybowl/puppybowl.html
7. Replays of cute puppy activities.
6. Minimal human commentary. I find most sports commentary pretty stupid and I'm happy to report that Animal Planet commentators don't try too hard to come up with stuff to say while the puppies are playing.
5. No penalties - well, no real ones anyways - the puppies are always very sweet and play by the rules.
4. Puppies watching Puppy Bowl. Sometimes the Puppies watching the Puppy Bowl on T.V. were just as fun as the puppies playing.
3. Back-to-Back showings. Animal Planet showed the Puppy Bowl twice last night and although I didn't watch the show twice - it was nice to have something to flip back to when there wasn't anything else on t.v.
2. Water Bowl Camera. A camera angle from underneath the water bowl. The puppies spent more time digging at the water than drinking it.
1. Puppies are so much cuter than un-cute football players. (Puppies may be as cute as those hot football players, but there weren't alot of them in Colts v. Bears.)
Next year, if you're looking for something to watch because there's nothing else on (besides the Superbowl) tune in to Animal Planet for some fun puppy watching.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the puppy bowl too. It was great and it reminded me of the time that I ate two cocker spaniel puppies for breakfast. They were delicious and, I might add, not very brave about being stalked and eaten by me. That reminds me that I am hungry. Where the f--k is Rusty when I need an animal to stalk and possibly eat.

Liz said...

I can't believe that I didn't see the puppy bowl. What was I doing watching the Bears lose like they did. Come to think of it, they threw the 4th quarter of the game as though some puppies were giving them the plays to make. I should have just watched the real puppies on TV.

Anonymous said...

I like puppies too. But not the black ones or Jewish ones. I only like white puppies or any animal that will give me cocaine. In fact I put my coke in a little bag that I tie to my dog's collar because sometimes I'm so out of it that I cant remember where I put my stash. C'mere Tinkerbell... where is that bag of blow I hung around your neck...? Damn Lindsey, she took my dog again.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nigel,

Did you watch the Kitty Halftime Show? Do even like other cats?

You seem like a very strange cat - I don't know of any cats that stalk dogs and eat them. Today, I almost stalked and caught two parked cars, but then I woke up and realized that I was taking a nap.

Love,
Molly

Anonymous said...

Molly

Be quiet or I will sneak over to your house and bite your face while you are sleeping. Then I will run and hide.

Nigel