Thursday, February 22, 2007

Oklahoma Trip, Day 2

In 1911 Clyde V. Cessna built his first aircraft, a Bleriot-type monoplane

Oklahoma Fact of The Day:


A car dealer from Enid, OK who grew up on a farm and had no formal flight training saw an airplane in Oklahoma City in 1910 and recognized it as the transportation of the future. He returned home where he built an airplane of his own. The car dealer's name was Clyde V. Cessna whose name eventually became synonymous with monoplanes and who later started the Cessna Aircraft Co.

Well its been another gorgeous day here in the Sooner State. And a busy one too. I went over to OKC (40 minutes away) with my dad and my brother for lunch and to buy my dad a new TV. Family projects are always an interesting combination of pontification, fact checking, and semi-organized chaos. This project was no different.

After purchasing the 42" flat screen, we put it in my brother's Jeep and transported it to my dad's place. Installation was hectic but the end result is that my dad has a new TV in his office and we moved the TV from his office to his home. So now it feels like he got two new toys even though there was only one.

Dinner this evening was a classic small town affair. The local Masonic Lodge was having a chili dinner so we went over for some chili and cornbread. It was a pretty lowkey affair and the food was great. Then we came back to my dad's office where I helped him with various administrative tasks and with the new TV. Also my fabulous husband helped us hook up some additional cables via phone.

After awhile there was a knock on the door and a man came in with a big container of homemade chicken noodle soup for my dad. I guess the people who own the restaurant around the corner know my dad works late a lot and they sent over some of the best soup I have ever had (homemade noodles no less). Only in a small town.

I am headed back to the Great State of Texas (the immodest state to the south) tomorrow morning. It will be good to be home but it sure has been a relaxing trip to the friendliest town ever. For example, yesterday I walked 2 blocks to the bank and while I was there I was greeted like a long lost relative and was hugged by no less than 5 people. They don't have service like that at Chase or Bank of America that's for sure. Oklahoma certainly is OK.

This weekend is the annual Academy Awards so stay tuned for my Oscar picks. I hope that my fabulous friend Stephanie is planning to share her picks too.

No comments: