Sunday, February 25, 2007

Barbara Walters Oscar Special


I love the annual Barbara Walters Oscar special and never miss it.

Tonight's first guest is Ellen Degeneres, one of my favorite comedians and the host of the Oscars this year. The one thing I don't really like about the Barbara Walters specials is that she always brings up some difficult period in the interviewee's life that is a tearjerker. She just asked Ellen about being molested as a child. While I feel badly for Ellen's past traumas I am uncomfortable hearing about them. I am always uncomfortable hearing extremely private information about people I don't know well and this occasion is no different. I wish they could have simply focused on Ellen's humor.

The second guest is Jennifer Hudson, the favorite to win the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. I may be the only person who will come right out and say that I think Jennifer Hudson is completely overrated and totally uninteresting as an actress. Give me a break. Abigale Breslin should win Best Supporting Actress for her role in Little Miss Sunshine. But I am sure that the bland Ms. Hudson will win the Oscar this year. She seems like a nice girl but I just find her to be dull. Also, in my opinion, she isn't an actress as much as she is a singer. Maybe she should win a Grammy and not an Oscar. I wish I got to make decisions like that. Maybe when I am Supreme Dictator of the World.

Barbara's third guest is the great Helen Mirren, favorite to win the Best Actress Oscar tonight. I like Helen Mirren. She is beautiful, candid, and charming. She also looks age-appropriate unlike a lot of American stars who have all had so much plastic surgery that their eyebrows meet in the back of their heads. Helen Mirren is so cute when she is talking about her husband. She is adorable and so classy. I am glad she is going to win tonight. Talent, class, and grace. Maybe Paris, Britney, and Lindsey are watching this show and learning from her. Nah, I doubt it.

Cut back to Live From the Red Carpet on E!...

Seacrest is interviwing Gwynyth Paltrow. She bugs me. She takes herself so seriously for such a marginal actress. I guess having rich successful parents along with an Oscar does that to you.

Now Seacrest is interviewing Beyonce who also bugs me. Enough said.

Wow, Cate Blanchett looks amazing as always. She looks like a goddess. I hope she wins tonight but I don't think she is going to. If I were Supreme Dictator of the World Cate would win an Oscar every year because I think she might be the greatest actress of our generation.

Back to Barbara Walters....

Eddie Murphy is the next guest on the Barbara special. I remember seeing his movie "Raw" back in 1985 at the Hyde Park Theater in Chicago. It was pretty intimidating to see that movie in a predominantly African American movie theater back then. Great flick though. He is a talented guy. I loved him in Shrek. I didn't care for his acceptance speech at the Golden Globes though. If he wins tonight I hope he gives a funny speech. That is really what we want from comedians: comedy. Oh lord...Barbara is asking Eddie about his childhood and his divorced parents. I think she is trying to make him cry but Eddie isn't falling for it. Thank goodness.







1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Barbara Wa-Wa must have a whole team of people who file away traumatic instances in celebrities' lives just for this sort of occasion.