Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mutton Bustin'



Last weekend Jonathan and I went to the Star of Texas Rodeo Austin which was so fun that we bought tickets to the finals this weekend. One of the events they have at this particular rodeo is called Mutton Bustin' and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Basically, they put 5 year old kids on the backs of sheep and the winner is the kid who stays on the sheep longest. My fabulous friend Whitney (white shirt, back to the camera in the photo below) was volunteer at this event. Her job was to pick the kids up after they fell off the sheep (they ALL fall off) and get them out of the way after their turn was over.



At first I thought that sheep-riding was just a bizarre idea but then I almost peed my pants laughing when I saw these kids hanging on for dear life onto the sheep. I kid you not...it was a riot to watch. First of all, they put hockey helmets on these little kids. Second, the kids are actually lying down on the back of the sheep and sort of holding on to their legs. One little girl actually slipped all the way around and under the sheep and was hanging onto the sheep's neck before she bit it. The incredible thing was that none of the kids seem to cry even when the sheep stomped on them after they fell off. They must be tough kids. That or maybe they give them a valium before strapping them on the sheep.

I was laughing too hard to take photos so Jonathan took a bunch of pictures of the sheep and Whitney but, sadly, only one photo (the one shown above) came out. Ah, the fun we have in Texas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for blogging about mutton bustin and I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it!!
Whitney