Sunday, December 31, 2006

It's Okay To Sell Gifts On Ebay

December was a very busy gift-receiving month for me. Not only were there the typical holiday gifts, but I also got married the first weekend of the month. Additionally, I had a shower and a bachelorette party during the month of November. Needless to say, my house is full of many wonderful gifts (including a fabulous massage mat from my fabulous friend Liz) and also many other indescribable gems such as the picture posted above.

If during the last month or so, you too were the recipient of countless gifts that you can only describe as "tacky" or euphemistically as "old-lady thoughtful" - do not hesitate to list these items on Ebay. Here are some simple steps:

Step 1: Research your item online (aka "steal underpants")

  • Find out how much you might possible get for it - if it's not worth the effort, you might consider giving it or throwing it away. For example, the retail value of this beautiful butterfly thing is over $35 - who would have known?

Step 2: Take the most flattering picture of your item

  • This may take a professional if your item is truly hideous, but there's no need to expend a great deal of effort on an item that doesn't cost very much. The picture above is not the best, but it gets the point across.

Step 3: Write a great description

  • Don't lie, but think like an old lady (only if you have old lady-type stuff, like me). Here is an example of what I wrote for the above piece:

This is a spectacular porcelain figurine. It has three beautiful butterflies and a ladybug surrounding picturesque pink flowers. There is room for a candle or candy in the bowl-like opening. The figurine is 8" high, the bowl-like opening is 5" across and 1.5" high. This would be a beautiful addition to any one's butterfly, ladybug or flower collection.

This is short (old ladies may not live that long to read a lengthy description) and sweet and gives a gift-giving idea to the person reading it.

Step 4: Wait for the money to roll in (aka "profit")

  • It's amazing what people will pay for stuff that you might think is horrible. For example, I made over $90 on another even more hideous figurine. Not sure how much money I'll get for the above piece - I'll keep everyone posted.

Please don't ever feel guilty for selling stuff you will never use or dust on Ebay. This is more difficult to do if the person who gave you the gift often visits your home, but is perfect for the distant relative who has no idea what State you live in.

A little advice for those of you attending a wedding in the near future - either look at the registry or give cash. Nothing else is acceptable, don't try to be different - your gift will just become the gift that the bride & groom and all of their friends laugh at and then try to sell on Ebay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice. But I will be really pissed if my mom buys some of the stuff you are selling and gives it to me for Christmas. Oh yes, its happened....

Anonymous said...

Hi, I would be interesting in purchasing this little beauty. Do you take cash? I would, however, like it personally delivered to my home to ensure that it doesnt break in the mail. It's probably a valuable antique. I live in Memphis, Texas. When can you deliver it?